Thursday, January 19, 2017

October 1325
 
I travel with myself again as my group from Qusantinah has not decided to stay in Tunis with me. As I explore this new town, I am discovering a new sense of loneliness. This city is entirely foreign to me and vice versa. If my first hours here are any indication, I will be completely on my own until I leave and hopefully come across more travelers. This time without my previous travelers has been admittedly sad. It is unlike any other town that I have visited in that I have not been greeted, yet I have crossed many faces. I could not help but shed some tears while walking into town. It was only then when a fellow Muslim approached me to ask why I was obviously upset. “This man continued to comfort me and make nicely talk until I entered the heart of the city” (Battuta).
 
The madras in Tunis is an astonishing piece of architecture as it is my first to see. The pillars of the school stand as tall as trees whereas the columns and archways are large enough to fit ten men. The main hall of the building only compares to my mosque in Morocco in size and shape. Throughout my study, I hear other students discuss the tenets of Islam as well as new ideas of Shari’a, similar to what my father discussed with his brothers and colleagues. I am quickly learning that the Dar al-Islam is significantly broader than I had anticipated. Studying with professors and other scholars has been eye-opening, and I hope to travel with some in the coming months to complete my pilgrimage.

No comments:

Post a Comment