Thursday, January 19, 2017

14 June 1325 (Brown)
 
From this day on, I shall completely devote myself to the faith of Islam.  I must abide by the final pillar of Islam - hajj - and make my pilgrimage to Mecca. Through this journey I wish to visit many illustrious sanctuaries that hold the world’s greatest libraries. My father and his brothers, being all scholars, wish to help me in this journey through education and higher learning, yet I have not a madrasa here in Tangier. I set out, alone, with a sensation of sorrow with the separation from my parents. However, this feeling of solitude will not overcome the necessity of my travels. At my age of 21, I will have no trouble going with just my thoughts to accompany me. I plan to travel over land by donkey, primarily, across North Africa, near the coast, towards Egypt. On this journey, I hope to gain a true understanding of Shari’a as well as Dar al-Islam. I am thankful for this opportunity to share my faith as well as experience others’. With my departure from Tangier, there is no saying when I shall return - only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment