Thursday, January 19, 2017


January 1326
 
I have been awarded a great honor as my learnings of religion and reason have been recognized! A qadi is considered an Islamic judge and settler of disputes (ORIAS), and most pilgrim caravans appoint the most qualified member to assume the role. Traveling with members of the madras from Tunis in a larger caravan than before. I have met many new faces, including the daughter of one of the professors at the madras. She is as pretty as Nerjes, the woman who let us stay with her in Qusantinah, and her hair is as black as night. Her eyes sparkle like little stars as she often discusses with me the cultural differences with Tunis and Tangier. She explained to me that not greeting strangers was standard practice in Tunis whereas it is considered rude in Morocco. I suppose my loneliness was not a unique feeling at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment